Friday, October 16, 2009

Gingerbread Snack Cake



I am making my dear sister-in-law a pumpkin gingerbread trifle tomorrow for her birthday and the recipe calls for a gingerbread mix, which I could not find anywhere (okay at either of the two stores at which I had time to look).  So, I had to resort to googling a recipe to make from scratch.  So worth it!  I probably sampled a little more than I should have tonight and I wish I could remember what site this recipe came from (I think it was a Martha Stewart blog), but anyway, it's delicious.  Had to share.

Ingredients:
1 stick (8 oz) butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup boiling water
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup unsulfured molasses
1 T freshly grated ginger
2 large eggs

Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-by-13-inch cake pan; set aside.  In a bowl, combine boiling water and baking soda; set aside.  With an an electric mixer & paddle attachment, cream butter until light. Beat in brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in molasses and grated ginger, baking-soda mixture, flour & spices. Beat in eggs.
Pour batter into prepared pan; bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares; dust with confectioners’ sugar or whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment