Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

Probably the best thing I make.  Sad, but true.  So I 've made this a variety of ways: in the oven, in the crockpot, with biscuit dough, with pie crust...it's up to you.  But I will say, the best tasting pot pie is when it's been in the crock pot all day, and then finished off in the oven with your topping of choice.  This just gives it more time for the chicken and vegetables to be tender, and for all the flavors to meld.  This recipe is super easy.

Mix together the following:
1 lb. cubed chicken
1/2 bunch celery, diced
1/2 bag (8 oz.) carrots, diced
3 medium potatoes, diced
1 onion, minced
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 T lemon juice
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. lemon pepper

Simmer in a crockpot for 6-8 hours.  Add 1/2 bag frozen peas & 1 can of corn.  Transfer to a large baking dish and top with either biscuit dough or a double pie crust recipe.  Bake @ 400 degrees for 15-20 more minutes or until golden brown.  If you're short on time, mix all ingredients together and bake @ 350 for one hour with the pie crust on, or for an hour, then add your biscuit dough and bake for an additional 15.  (You'll have to crush your bouillon or use use granules.)

Some notes: Dusty's favorite topping is the garlic cheese biscuit recipe on the back of the bisquick box - so try that if you'd like.  My favorite topping is pie crust.  Also, if someone in your family doesn't like the smell of onions permeating every corner of the house, you do have options.  One time, I made this the day before we left on vacation.  When we arrived at our destination and opened our suitcases, there it was...the aroma of chicken pot pie.  I won't mention any names, but someone at my house isn't a fan of that onion smell and this incident was the final opportunity for its offense.  I now lovingly place the crockpot in the garage anytime I want to make this dish.

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome (lovingly place the crockpot in the garage), I love reading your recipes and will add this website to my favorites. I can't wait to try some of them.

    I want to know some of your tips regarding kitchen stores (crate and barrel, williams sonoma, etc) and products (I need new knives). Do you have many vegetarian recipes (Darren is going crazy I tell ya).

    ReplyDelete