Thursday, October 22, 2009

Easy Apple Dumplings



Apparently this is a recipe that has been passed down for generations in my family - from my Great Grandma Storment, to my Grandma Dymond, to my Mom, and now me.  This is the first time I've made it or tried it, but thought it was worth sharing.  It almost tastes like an apple cobbler (a syrup develops underneath during baking) and its fairly easy (compared to making REAL apple dumplings).

Dough:
2 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 T sugar
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk

Filling:
4 cups tart apples, finely chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Sauce:
2 cups water
2 cups sugar (if your apples are sweeter, reduce sugar to 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup (1 cube) butter

Directions:
Mix together dry ingredients for the dough.  Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until the size of peas.  Add milk and stir to form a soft dough.  On a floured surface, roll dough into the shape of a rectangle until about 1/4" thick (be careful not to roll it too thin or the dough will rip when you roll it up).  Top with chopped apples and nuts if desired.  Roll up (just like a cinnamon roll) and seal edges by pinching.  (If it rips at this point and apples start falling out, don't worry about it - mine did too and it turns out just fine after baking.)  Cut into 1" slices and place into a 9"x13" pan.

Prepare sauce by bringing all ingredients to a boil.  Gently pour the sauce over the dumplings.  Bake uncovered at 375 for 75 minutes.  (The dough will rise up fairly high and a sauce will form during baking. You may add a bit more water after 15 minutes of baking if you have room in your pan.)

1 comment:

  1. ok monika, are you sure these recipes that you so call EASY are REALLY easy, like for a retard who can't cook very well (um...me!)? I haven't checked in for a week or so and then got on and realized what I had been missing. So by chance got any good Gingerbread COOKIE recipes (EASY of course). My Husband was just saying how a gingerbread cookie sounded really good the other day and thought I'd give it a try, since I've never made one before. Ooh and what about a good dinner in a pumpkin recipe, or something to do with the pumpkins that you can cook with. Because I have 3 of them and have NO CLUE what to do with them!!!! Please help! =)

    ReplyDelete